Monday, September 21, 2009

Hey, some bowls!

So, I've finally gotten around to posting some finished work! Granted, these have been done for a week, but I've been too busy/lazy/absent minded (pick one) to spend 45 minutes taking pictures of them, then tweaking the images until I either can tolerate what I see on the screen compared to what's sitting next to me, or give up in frustration. It's what I get for having a cheap camera, I suppose. Just keep in mind most of my woodwork looks much better in person.

It seems like I say that every time.

Anyways, first we have an alder piece, a bowl made of two boards laminated together and turned in a cross-grain fashion. This piece is about 4 1/2 inches in diameter at the widest point, and 2 3/4 inches tall.

I really like how the grain on one side almost looks like the Firefox logo:


Next is a bowl made of cherry, from one of three pieces given to me from a friend. This bowl is already spoken for, going to the folks that gave me the blanks. I really like this one too, so it seems fitting. Solid cherry, turned cross-grain. 6 inches in diameter at the rim, and 1 5/8 inches tall.

I like how the grain came out:

Lastly, we have the last of my birch pieces, for now. A single birch board, cut and laminated, and turned cross-grain. 7 1/16 inches in diameter, and 1 1/2 inches tall. The bottom came out a little thicker than I usually like, but for some reason I was paranoid about turning it too thin. It adds a bit of weight to the bowl, though it does make it shallow.

I like the two tone grain:

And lastly, some works in progress:

Hope everyone (anyone?) likes these.

2 comments:

  1. I like em all, but I especially like the first and fourth one. The interesting grain pattern gives them this flash of character that i really enjoy! Is it possible to make a bowl or something out of a really aged peice of wood like driftwood, or is the wood not structurally stable enough?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first one I really like because, even though it's two separate pieces of wood glued together, the grain lines up and looks continuous. It's one of those things where I just lucked out.

    I can turn driftwood/aged wood easily enough, provided: A) it fits on my lathe, and B) it's strong enough to hold together. Some people will fill cracks and such with epoxy to let the wood hold together while turning. I've turned a few pieces now that had some pretty serious woodrot going on, and managed to turn them without having them explode in a hail of splinters.

    And then there's this one I turned a looooong time ago: http://jrca.deviantart.com/art/Twisted-pine-and-a-foot-51704448

    ReplyDelete