Monday, October 12, 2009

A surprise for family

This weekend I went to Meadview for a fun filled weekend of motorcycle riding and sightseeing, and overall general vacationing. I tagged along with TC and Alex, and his sister, and we all stayed at their grandparents place. They've kind of adopted me, which is cool, and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Anyways, I decided it would be cool to make a bowl for them, as sort of a thank you. Rather than giving it to them in person, though, I devised a scheme, which everyone helped out on. I decided to plant the bowl somewhere while we were getting ready to leave, in hopes they wouldn't find it until we were all gone, so it would be a surprise.

Fun, yeah?

It was incredibly hard to keep it hidden until the last moment when I put it onto their coffee table, at which point, it was incredibly hard to hide my excitement. I was incredibly giddy riding away.

Anyways, the bowl:




When I started finishing the bowl, I did not like it. I thought the wood rot cavities combined with the bold grain made it too busy looking and overwhelming. My sister helped convince me to stick with it and finish it, and I figured if I still didn't like it, I'd bring another bowl turned from a similar piece of wood with less rot, and let everyone else decide. But once I put the gloss finish on it, all my reservations disappeared. I liked it, and was sure everyone else would, too. And they did.

The bowl is turned from my last piece of Spanish Cedar lumber, and was the piece I was most scared of turning, because it had so many voids in it from the rot. As such, the inside of the bowl isn't sanded as well as I usually try to do, and still has some turning lines in it. It is hard to tell, but the rim is interrupted in two spots by a long void, which made sanding even more difficult. It is 7 1/8 inches in diameter by 1 3/4 inches tall, finished with danish oil with a polyurethane gloss topcoat.

Lesson being: Don't stop working on something because you don't like it yet. Sometimes, it ends up being one of your favorite pieces by the time you're done.

No comments:

Post a Comment